It's been quite a while since my last post! Since the weather has gotten colder and the ground has frozen it has become nearly impossible for me to do anything.
But, I have recently begun actual work on Toby the Tram engine.
All the doors have been removed. They need refining, but the model already looks much better! (I also removed that one window, but my hand slipped and I took out two chunks on the bottom frame. I'll have to fix that somehow.) Once I got the doors out I was able to fabricate cab floors for either end of the loco. They will not be staying white.
I have also put in a sub-floor that rests on top of the chassis molding. Then I put in supports for the cab floor so it won't sag if I put something in the cabs like an engineer. This will be staying white (except for where I painted the supports black).
Finally, I was able to re-wire the DPDT switch that came with the loco. It was originally used to reverse track polarity, but I only need it to switch between RUN and CHARGE, so I connected the two center pins. I also lowered the switch as much as possible so it fits under the cab floor. I was able to fit the charger port on the bottom of the loco as well. But, I did have to bend the contacts to the port and I actually broke one off (opss!). But, the charger still works!
So, I got as far as wiring the two components together and now I have to wait until I can buy the battery pack and RC receiver to do any more of the electrical work.
I can however, finish the styrene pieces for the boiler. Each end will get a 'cap' piece. Then there will a runner on either side of the boiler top - a piece of pipe cut in half. The boiler will have a smokestack running to the ceiling.
This boiler will hide the battery, Rx, and the wiring. The smokestack will run the wiring for the lights to the roof.
There is plenty of space in this loco for me to add sound and smoke, which I may do later on.
One final note: I removed the eye mechanism from this loco (it made Toby's eyes move back and forth as he ran). I may end up covering the resulting hole in the metal frame so nothing gets caught in the gears.
My name is John. This is my website dedicated to all things model railroading! I hope you enjoy!
This site was last updated
at date of top Project post
or more recently.