Steam Tram #7 'Toby'
My first exposure to trains was though Thomas & Friends when I was a kid. I couldn't tell you why, but Toby the Tram Engine was always my favorite. So, when I started the LHRR I knew I had to have a Toby, even though it doesn't fit my theme (See Rule #8). But, when I was looking at the model online I was disappointed to see that Bachmann had created a Toby that has no interior. That won't do! Where would the driver go?! Then, I found a thread on G Scale Central by Keith Edwards on how he modified his Toby in just the way I was picturing. I figured I can probably manage something similar, right?
So, once I bought my Toby, I set to work planning the remodel. I took the shell off the chassis and had a look around. Here's what I decided to do...
- remove the eye mechanism and set the eyes in place.
- cut out all windows and doors & glaze
- fabricate a boiler, cab floors, chimney, and new handrails in the doorways
- drill holes to add LED lighting to either end of the locomotive
- do something about the plastic look of the bell and pull string
- rewire the locomotive to run on battery power & R/C control